The following 4 charts explain the differences between Medpor and Rib Cartilage ear reconstructions in terms of the surgical process, the aesthetic outcome, the child’s experience and a functional comparison.
CONCLUSION: Medpor ear reconstruction is the preferable option for ear reconstruction based on the above categories of comparison:
- Surgery for ear reconstruction and hearing restoration can occur years earlier
- There are fewer surgeries in a shorter time period with less medical cost and travel expenses
- It creates a more realistic ear that better matches the normal side with less scarring and pain
- Psychological and social impacts on children with Microtia and atresia can be prevented with surgery at an earlier age
- Though the lifespan of Medpor is unknown, there have been no signs of deterioration over 30 years of use in reconstruction surgery